One thing you can do almost every day is revamp your coffee break with these 6 easy steps!
1. Invest in the perfect reusable mug and kick the Styrofoam disposable cup habit. Polystyrene isn’t biodegradable, and after just one use most cups will end up lingering in a landfill for centuries.
2. Support local brewers and cafes. The less distance your coffee has traveled from farm to mug, the better.
3. Resist the temptation to use individually packaged sugars, creamers, and throw away stirrers. If your favorite coffee shop doesn’t offer alternatives, consider politely asking them to change their ways.
4. Check for Fair Trade certification. Fair Trade labels ensure safe working conditions and fair compensation for farm workers. Many Fair Trade certified commodities are also grown without the use of genetically modified organisms (GMO’s) or pesticides.
5. Be your own barista. If you’re in the market for a new coffee maker, try a French press. Unlike most coffee machines, French presses are manual, don’t require paper filters, and use less water and energy per brew.
6. Lastly, give your coffee grounds a second life. Keep them handy in the kitchen to scrub grease off of pots and pans or try placing them in the refrigerator to absorb common odors. Turns out used coffee grounds also make great plant fertilizer! Toss them in with your compost heap or sprinkle them on soil to add a natural nitrogen boost.